
I think the universe was at work today -- more than at work, TINKERING is a better word.
Deus ex machina, as Britney might say.
Much as it chafes, I have to give credit to Mark W. here. He said, "Angela, this is how I prioritize my life. I've learned the hard way, when I deviate greatly from this list, I suffer. In order, these are my priorities":
1. God
2. Family
3. Career
4. Community
As my dear friends know, relationship and public service have take top priorities lately. Today, the universe offered me the opportunity to change things up:
IF you take advantage of these in-your-face career opportunities, jobs and new projects and exciting new twists are waiting for you. In fact, begging for your attention.
IF you make choices to put your girls first, vacations and abundant time to spend with them will avail themselves. Your girls will text you, telling you how much they love you, until you finally recognize that that they are truly angels sent to you by God. And that they need you.
Through these choices, how can I NOT set new priorities.
How lucky I am that God keeps giving me second........and third.........and fourth chances......ad infinitum........to get it right.
That is love in its truest, purest essence. God saying, "You fuck it up so bad, again and again. And, Charlie Brown, I'll never walk away from you. Never." That's pretty cool.

9 comments:
OK, this is mot. Or maybe Nador or even Arctis. Does it really matter? The Blob family speaketh! I think the down comforters, pillows, satin sheets, name dropping (WHY does anyone care about JLH's dress size???) got enough play from the "never too young or too skinny contingent." Let's get down on the Universe (God), Gratitude and Choosing (Intention's kissin' cousin), shall we?
What I notice is that God/the Universe does a lot of shoulder tappin', and we get to CHOOSE whether to listen. That the more gratitude we have for anything, the more connected we feel to ourselves and others (da Girlz).
Mark's order actually doesn't matter. It just matters that God (I'll say a trust in an appreciation for, the wonders of the Universe) be at or very near the top. And, it also seems important that we choose what is important to us, and stay (more or less) in the space of what's important.
And, I second Gala, great stuff from the blobmates.
Love,
Mot
Mark's list is his hierarchy, and it shifts by his own admission, depending on his life's situation. You're right, his list wouldn't necessarily work for others. My revelation is how the universe works co-creatively with you to get your house in order. If you're aware, you're right. That has to be the given.
But my point, and maybe I'm not making it very well, is that we're given these opportunities to not just REACT to situations that have been laid before us (and hopefully make better choices), but to also CREATE, PLAN, VISUALIZE, INITIATE changes in our lives that are in alignment with God/universe. Here's an example. Yes, I can make better choices in relation to the girls. I can write the letter to Paul. I can start a savings account. I can attend all of their soccer games. And that's all good.
But if I have an END in mind of a deep, connected relationship with them that embodies maximizing their own potential along with my own, then I'm looking at MUCH bigger, powerful, and more directed actions. Total immersion language classes. Moving to Durango to get Emma into a charter school and drama classes. Taking the girls on a summer-long camping trip. So, it's a difference between reacting to situations through making better choices, AND THEN leveraging that power to actually CREATE a life that powerfully captures the God-essence that is in all of our lives, waiting patiently.
It's a shift from passive spectator of how the universe works ("isn't that interesting"), to ACTIVE PARTICIPANT in the wonder ("yup, it's interesting, AND I'M GETTING ON THAT TRAIN!").
Mot, sometimes you just hafta enjoy a good National Enquirer when the Universe (or Arctis) decides to hand one to you.
Gala, I love hearing about your "Aha!" moments. This one is particulary good, because I think you've been circling around it for a while now (i.e. feeling like you should quit some of your volunteer positions) but paying attention to ONE conversation with Mark W. sort of made all the marbles drop into the right slots.
Funny that none of Mark's top 4 included SELF. Is that because by paying attention to these 4 things, one's needs are inherently met? Does SELF fall into each of these categories just a little bit? Or is SELF its own category but lower on the list of priorities?
Not sure if I'm making any sense here, but for example, if I take one hour of my day to hike in the forest across the street, I am satisfying the criteria of God because I am appreciating the natural beauty of the Universe. But I am ALSO refilling my own well - escaping phones, child, husband, etc. So that would lend credibility to the theory that SELF is satisfied when you keep your top priorities in balance and is NOT its own category. I will ponder further.
Arctis, I view God/self as being the same. When you honor self (through your nature walks), you honor the God within you. That's just my take, though.
My sister is going to give me a makeover tonight. I can't wait! You may not recognize me.
Dear All,
I agree that the time you spend with God is all about self. When you take the time to listen to what He wants for you, ain't none of it's bad! God is basically all about love, inner peace, joy and hope. Some people like to think that by serving God they are a sort of special martyr that is giving up everything for Him. But like so many ironies and surprises that I have found in my (Christian) faith, what's good for God is always better for me. It is so easy that we want to make it hard. Especially those of us with elevated IQ's.
Creating a loving relationship with children, friends, family is good for them, and even better for you. Blah, blah, blah ....
Abrupt ending, must go! Mot, I will help you understand the National Enquirer thang later. There is logic behind it! Love to all, Drano
I only wanted to ADD to my post, not remove it. I wanted to request that your sister dye your hair REALLY red, because I liked the very subtle highlights you did last time but think you need more red. Go big! (not big hair, just big color)
On the SELF = GOD, I pretty much agree with you. But as I was pondering this all morning I concluded that YES, there should be some self in each of our top priorities. We shouldn't volunteer on a community board we don't give a crap about. And if you can at all help it, you shouldn't work in a career that doesn't fulfill you on some level.
Is there a correlation then between personal happiness and the extent to which the "big 4" - GOD/UNIVERSE, family/relationships, career, community - jibe with our SELVES? I think there is. And ultimately, as with most things, doesn't it all boil down to aiming for the perfect balance?
Drano, we talked briefly yesterday about the wisdom that comes with age - when I think about that in terms of myself I think I'm just better at balancing my life now. Which comes from letting go of ego, taking time when I need to, spending time with friends as well as family, etc. And we're right back to intention and choices. My head hurts.
My head doesn't hurt, because I'm going to dye my hair BLOND and become a witless bimbo. I will eschew thinking and pondering and using big words. While my sis wants me to wear more professional attire, I am going to wear SEXIER clothes. Like Tina Fey. I can make my boobs spill out of a v-neck sweater like she does. I know I can if I try. I just need the extra strength push-up bras, with the flying buttress option. I'm also going to perfect sidelong glances, demure gazes, and liplicking (in a slow sensuous manner).
My makeover is now replacing God/Self as my number one priority. Any suggestions? Makeover is tonight, apparently. My sis is the boss of me.
I don't have any comment. I'm just a witless blonde bimbo...
Maybe some fake glasses that look like Tina Fey's could compliment the look?
Post a Comment